Last week I had the pleasure of attending a masterclass by New York based make-up guru Hung who’s now the global ambassador for Marc Jacobs beauty. Hung Vanngo, who’s an amazing make-up artist to many Hollywood stars such as Selena Gomez, Katy Perry, Emily Ratajkowski just to name a few.
Hung mentioned that he’s self taught and started in the beauty industry as a hairdresser. At his first job in a hairsalon, there was a make-up station. He started playing and really enjoyed it and decided to pursue a career in make-up artistry. His big break was the ID cover Claudia Schiffer.
Recap of the masterclass + tips from Hung Vanngo
- Hung likes to use highlight all over the body, mixed with moisturizer.
- It’s too shiny for during the day, better at night. He used it on Katy Perry, see here.
- Skipped eyeshadow primer during the class to be able to blend the pencil in. Uses foundation on the lids, to keep the skin moist this helps to extend blending time.
- Doesn’t like to use synthetic brushes to blend because it swipes off the makeup, uses real hair instead.
- Highliners are perfect for this market & weather, they’re long lasting
- He loves to play with color, thinks that warm colors enhance the beauty (especially for red carpets)
- Likes starting with skin first, it’s the most important part of the look.
- Lipliner are creamy but long lasting. They create a solid, pigmented line.
I think the make-up looks he created really speak to the Middle Eastern women. These are the typical looks that many of my personal client request a lot. Just as every make-up artist has their own style, I thing Hung gave these looks an editorial twist which I love.
Look no.1 products details:
Eyepencil // Highliner Matte Gel Crayon #(Brown)ie
Mascara // Velvet Noir
Blush // Air Blush #Flesh & Fantasy
Fix spray: Perfecting Coconut Mist
Lips // Longer Lip Pencil #Oh Cocoa
Lipgloss // Hi-Shine Lip Lacquer #320 Love Drunk
Look no.2 products details:
WaterLiner // Highliner Matte Gel Crayon #Fine whine
Eyeshadow palette // Style Eye-Con #The dreamer (hasn’t launched yet)
Mascara // Velvet Noir
Blush // Air Blush #508 Night Fever & Hot Stuff
Bronzer // Coconut bronzer (limited edition)
Lipliner // #316 Charlotte
Lipstick // #208 Miss Scarlet
MET gala & red carpets:
- He gets many requests for the MET gala.
- He did Emily Ratajkowski’s make-up at 11am and she didn’t go until 6pm
- It takes 1 to 2 hours per client + hair and nails
- For red carpet makeup, its important for the make-up to stay put. It’s essential that the colors are as bright in real life as under flashlight.
- Prepping the skin is the most important step for long lasting make-up.
- Tip for long lasting make-up: makes the model wash and exfoliate the skin and then moisturizes properly.
- Always uses setting spray afterwards.
- Photoshoots are easier because you can touch up constantly.
- Loves highlighting but not too much on the T-zone. In your own environment you can control the lighting, on red carpets, there’s no control & the centre looks greasy.
- Keeps under eyes extra matte. Doesn’t use powder on cheek bones to create natural highlight.
- Doesn’t contour the nose fully, makes the nose look bigger in pictures/red carpet.
- Likes to longate the eyes, on katy perry too since she has round eyes.
- His signature look: wants the model to look like themselves want to enhance the beauty and work with wat they have.